21 Sep What Does My Car Insurance Cover?
Auto insurance provides coverage for you and your vehicle in the event of a loss, injury or damage — either caused by you or someone else. Often times, car insurance is something you don’t think about until you need it, but in the event that you do need to file a claim, understanding your protection is essential. Here at Anderson, Bagley & Mayo, your safety and security is our priority — which is why we’re breaking down the ins and outs of a car insurance policy.
A typical auto insurance policy generally provides the following three coverage’s, up to the limits of your policy:
- Bodily Injury Liability — covers any costs associated with injuries to other people that you may cause during an accident
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) — covers your own medical bills and lost wages if you are injured in an accident; this can also cover costs for any passengers in your vehicle
- Property Damage Liability — helps to cover repair costs for damage you cause to another person’s vehicle or property
In Massachusetts, as in most states, when you own a car you are required to have auto insurance and carry a minimum amount of liability coverage, for example:
- Bodily Injury to Others: $20,000 per person / $40,000 per accident
- Personal Injury Protection: $8,000 per person, per accident
- Bodily Injury Caused by an Uninsured Auto: $20,000 per person / $40,000 per accident
- Damage to Someone Else’s Property: $5,000 per accident
However, in many cases, these required minimums do not provide enough coverage in case of an accident, which is why many individuals opt for coverage limits above and beyond the set state requirements. At ABM, making sure you have the appropriate amount of coverage for your lifestyle is our top priority. You can count on our team to take extra time to walk you through your coverage options so that we may find the proper protection that fits your needs and your budget. In addition, our team may recommend supplementary coverages that will enhance your auto insurance policy to further protect you and your family.
These additional coverages include:
- Collision – reimburses you for damage to your car that occurs as a result of a collision with another vehicle or other object.
- Comprehensive – offers coverage against theft and damage, such as glass or windshield glass replacement, caused by an incident other than a collision.
- Emergency Road-Side Assistance — provides coverage for reasonable emergency services if your car breaks down leaving you stranded on the side of the road
- Uninsured Motorist Protection — coverage for when an accident is caused by an uninsured driver, or in the case of a hit-and-run.
- Substitute Transportation — reimburses you for the cost to rent a substitute vehicle while your car is being repaired after a covered loss.
Accidents happen, but with the proper auto insurance coverage, you can have the peace of mind in knowing you are protected.
If you are looking for more information about a new or existing car insurance policy, an ABM insurance agent is happy to help. Contact us at one of our four convenient Massachusetts locations at (978) 534-2800 (Leominster); (978) 632-1098 (Gardner); (978) 874-2921 (Westminster); (978) 464-5857 (Princeton) or visit our website to request a free quote!